Skip to main content

Born in the 70's........

Ok, such posts have been doing rounds on Facebook - BORN in 80's...” “100 things you didn’t know about me” etc. ….. also “born in the 70s”!! So, now that I find myself again on a certain threshold between something and something, and with a lot of time on hand, it led me wonder on similar lines what it was like for me (and my generation) to have grown up in the 70s!!!! I’m a child of the 70’s, raised in the 80’s and the 90’s can very well leave me alone! As a child of the 70’s, I know that ‘Grunge’ is here to stay, ‘Fashion’ is fickle and ‘Freedom’ is a myth. So let’s see…. Here goes….
You know you’re born in the 70s… When..
1.        When you remember Ek Chidiya, Jungle jungle baat chali hai(Jungle Book), Molu The Penguin, Swami from Malgudi Days, Chandrakanta, Buniyaad, Nukkad, Hum Log on Doordarshan and the first time you ever had an eternal crush on Shahrukh Khan was when you saw him in Fauji and Circus!!
2.        When you’ve grown up watching Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin on video cassettes on your VCRs, listened to ABBA, BOB Marley and Sat Nite Fever on cassettes that were your father’s collection…. And waited for Chitrahaar on DD for your dose of Hindi film songs!!
3.        The cartoons you grew up watching were Tom and Jerry, The Gloworms, Mickey and Donald, Winnie the Pooh, He Man and the Masters of the Universe, The Flintstones and Spiderman!!
4.        You shopped at Weekender and Benetton.
5.        Your learning in the institution of Music started from Backstreet Boys, Boyzone , Spice Girls, Peter Andre, Westlife, Savage Garden, Vengaboys and gradually, in a smooth transition, progressed to The Beatles, Chris Isaak, Kurt Cobain, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Def Leppard, Jim Morrison, Led Zeppelin… etc.
6.        You know Parikrama started their initial gigs covering PF and Metallica, and now they ONLY perform their own songs in concerts!! \m/
7.        When you knew that ‘Buland Bharat ki buland tasveer’ was HUmara BAJAJ, when you had ‘Gale meing khich-khich’ you had to take VICKS ki Goli, ‘The Zing Thing’ was Gold-Spot and the ‘Super Cooler’ was Citra, you knew what happened when ‘Roshan hota BAJAJ’, … and you just HAD to say ‘I love you’ to Rasna. ;O)
8.        When you remember Lisa Ray and Mehr Jesia from the Garden-Vareli commercials and the Lyril girl was every boy’s fantasy and the Siyaram’s, Raymonds and Bombay Dyeing man was every girl’s!! *daydreams* ;) :P
9.        When the price of 1 litre petrol was Rs 25. *sighs*
10.     Your photographs were saved in photo albums in your drawers/closets and not on hard-disks!!
11.     You brighten up at the very mention of the word ‘Retro’ and assign much reverence to it coz in any given context; it more often than not refers to the 70s!!! \m/
12.     Your ticket to outer space was Star Wars and Planet of the Apes and to SpookVille was The Omen, Evil Dead and The Exorcist. (And you have to admit you watched all of those horror movies through a pillow in front of your face!!) :P :D
13.     You don’t understand the need to expel Pluto from our solar system!!!!!!
14.     While watching TV together, the Katrina ad of XperiaZ Smartphone comes on… and upon the visual of the phone being washed in water, my brother asked my mom, who uses a Nokia phone, “Mummy, taro phone Smartphone che?(is your phone a Smartphone?)” And she replies imperturbably, “No” He asks, “Why?” And such innocence and nonchalance she replies “Cause my phone cannot be washed in water!!” Like she doesn’t even care!!


If you’re born in the 70’s, your generation is probably the last one to have those sweet, not-corrupted-by-technological-invasion, “motherly” mothers!! <3>

15.     Braces with colored rubber bands made you cool!!
16.     You can spell, punctuate and know the figures of speech.
17.     You cried listening to “unbreak my heart” by Toni Braxton (Yes, boys included! :-|)….. and if you were a girl, you DEFINITELY tried to merge two shades of lipstick, one dark and one frosted, to get the signature Toni Braxton look!!!
18.     Your first fake tattoo to a party was a black dot between your eyebrows (a bindi), coz you knew Gwen Stefani was à la mode!
19.     You came home from school, had your lunch and watched your fave recorded cartoons on the VCR and though gaming consoles weren’t the norm like they are today, you did play Pac Man on a hand held Nintendo and a few other games on an Atari. But mostly, YOU PLAYED OUTSIDE!
20.     You didn’t think twice before drinking water from a garden hose, and buying bottled water didn’t even occur to you.
21.     You know ‘metal’ means music! :-|
22.     When you know that MTv and Channel V actually played MUSIC once upon a time! :-/ *L-\*
23.     Your first cigarette was A Phantom Sweet cigarette!! :’)
24.     You’ve had a perm, at least once. You’ve had a GI Jane crew cut, at least once. You’ve had a blunt cut, at least once.

I could go on and on….. And if you’re still reading this, and if it’s hit home, know that you indeed have a heritage…. A heritage of stories you can tell grandchildren – your own or anybody else’s! Cheers.. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards more picturesque speech... My tribute to The Reader's Digest!!

Things i love............. -- Poetry...as much as prose! Reading, writing and pondering upon things... To the sea- Once while watching the waves continuously pulled up and pulled back it looked as though someone was trying to make a bed and couldn't get it right spreading the sheet properly!!!!!! :P \m/ Not to forget, i felt closest to "YOU'' too!!! But i love the MOUNTAINS more!!!!!!! -- A good pun is its own re-word!!! \m/ But why is it that we DO have to pay for a short-cut in the long run?!?! We've known for sure that a small chip on the shoulder can indeed get to be heavy load!!!! But times are a-changing and today's modern boy would rather follow his father's tyre tracks, than his footsteps!!! And have u ever wondered, did Elizabeth tailor her own clothes?!?!? -- Metaphors- I love painting word pictures. And literally, "metaphorically speaking.." happens to be my favorite phrase!! :P Think about this- A tiny acrobat of hope somersaulted in h
sometimes life seems lik a shipwreck but then i say, "wat da heck!" :-?? i fix my bowl of cereal with barley and oats im the one to even sing in the life-boat my feet tappin the floor and hands clamped on the deck!

And so i blogged....

Whoa! So here i am... So, I heard everyone s got a blog these days!!! I heard its 'IN'!! Like...some kinda frenzy in which everyone s getting caught...and seems I ain't spared either!!!!! Its been a while a few of my friends who've known me closely, have been telling me I should start writing again. But I haven't really found that spark in a while. I'm still not sure whether I will find what I'm looking for again. But I sure do hope to find it. I'm not quite sure of what I'll write in my blog...ever since I lost those diaries{I swear i still miss em :-(} while packing and shifting back from Delhi.. it had stopped! I miss the writer in me sometimes but more so I miss the collection of those 50 odd poems and essays I had written. Those days it just came randomly flowing through my pen... one of the real pleasures of life, that I lost down the line. I hope to find it again... and so i blogged!!!!!!!!! :D \m/